Expanding My Early Childhood Ornament Collection

I had several ornaments that were hard to place and even more difficult to name as I expanded my search for Christmas decor that I dream-remembered from my childhood during my bout with COVID earlier this summer.  After using keywords such as "fragile," "diorama," "shaved wood" and "open arch wooden ornament" across Ebay, Etsy and Google in general, I finally found examples of and the correct keywords for the ornaments in question.

Erzgebirge 

Seiffen, Germany  

Richard Glaesser woodshops  

... and let's not forget "vintage."

These have now joined my Christmas in July Childhood Ornament Collection (one dated 1975):



Here's a view from the other side of the ornament:



The wooden arches feature a simple geometric design like this one, and the thinnest of gold thread was used for the hangars at the top, though the nativity ornament arrived without it.


These are German, which makes me believe that the lost or abandoned ornaments of my childhood had been given to me by my German godmother, Annie Rooney.  I love these and look forward to collecting more that were created in the "Erzgebirge Mountain Village of Seiffen, Germany by the craftsmen at the Richard Glaesser woodshops" during the 1970s. 

I've enjoyed creating this new vintage collection this summer, but it's almost time to put the ornaments away until December, so I can start getting ready for Halloween!


Comments

Popular Posts