Greenhouse Harvest

Despite Dear Daughter's annual contribution of seeds, this summer's greenhouse harvest has been next to piddly-nuttin', partly because I think I didn't work enough fertilizer into the soil, and partly because of grasshoppers, grasshoppers, grasshoppers... grasshoppers e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e.  But our apple trees produced enough that I may be able to make some filling for mini pies and still contribute some not-so-rosy ones to the deer. The cucumber plants which are usually fading away at this point in August are just now producing, and the same goes with the bell peppers.  As for the pumpkins, it appears I may only get some minis for the fall.  The beetles (or whatever they are) returned and nothing worked on them.  I don't know if I need to set up a system of nets combined with SEVIN spray next year, but I need to do something if I hope to have some cheerful orange for the porch and Halloween. 

The cherry tomatoes are leggy, and I'm thinking grasshoppers love their little yellow blooms because wow... I have fewer than ten red mini-globes for today's salad. I did manage to produce zucchini this year which was shredded and used in a zucchini/onion/parmesan quick bread that even The Teenager scarfed down, but it looks like only two melons might have a chance of ripening before the end of September, while the canteloupe vines will offer only lovely greenery and blooms.  Pesto and other recipes requiring basil are all set for this fall, but I'll be reading up this winter for purposeful rather than accidental success for next year. 

It does feel good to grow your own food.






I kept it simple for the Christmas tree this year, filling the gutters with coleus, moss roses, and dianthus:



Yum!







Comments

Popular Posts