Assemblage Jewelry: Bits of This and That

I have been a jewelry lover for most of my life.  Accompanying my mother to jewelry stores in the malls, and looking over antique jewelry in the store my grandmother used to manage decades ago in Washington, D.C., I came to love all sorts of pieces, their histories, their weight and colors, their textures and purposes.  Brooches, chatelaines, parures (sets of jewels that are to be worn together), rings, charms, fobs, tiaras, I found so many of them appealing.

Though the storyline was (still is) dated, as a child and teen I used to love watching Gigi starring Leslie Caron.  Aunt Alicia and her jewelry box full of exquisite items that she received from many, many lovers as a courtesan was a favorite scene.  My mother and I exclaimed "A TOPAZ?!?!?  Amongst MY jewels?!?!?! Are you MAD?!?!?" at the appropriate moment every time we watched the movie together, or whenever someone, anyone in passing or in conversation would for whatever reason say the word "topaz." Shortly after she passed, I purchased a sixty-nine carat oval mystic topaz ring, just to keep the memory alive.  It's huge, almost to the point of being obscene.  It's heavy on the finger and I love it.

While my mother and grandmother had lovely pieces of "real" jewelry that they wore, they both also enjoyed good costume or fashion jewelry. Ethnic pieces, too much sparkle, earthier textures and some clunky stuff filled corners of their jewelry cases and dresser drawers. Accessories and bling are GOOD, according to my genetic code. My father's brother John, who recently passed, also made jewelry, using walrus ivory, baleen, and jade, so I had a collection started as a child that has only grown over time. Dad recently sent me and my daughter matching ivory snowflake earrings carved by an artisan in Shishmaref, Alaska. 

I've bought plenty of jewelry myself over the years, mostly earrings in my twenties and thirties, and then necklaces in my late thirties and forties.  If Dear Daughter wanted or needed jewelry we could easily raid my stash for prom, homecoming, dates and interviews. Whenever I've stopped wearing certain pieces, they've remained within easy reach in my bedroom.  If, after a few years I don't feel inclined to have them in my way, they migrate to the craft room and are tucked into boxes, crystal candy dishes, drawers, etc.  I have broken necklaces, lone earrings, charms both given and made (I used to solder glass charms every weekend almost ten years ago), pin backs, key fobs, and bracelets and it's all been sitting untouched until this weekend. 

With chores done and a three-day weekend ahead of me, I thought it would be nice to figure out how to make a spring necklace for myself utilizing some of the bits and bobs that I have been squirreling away for years. So out it all came, along with pliers and jump rings.  Lots and lots of jump rings.


(I still have my valentine tree up in the craft room- I love all of those swapped ornaments!)

I'm one of those people who often needs to make a mess before I can make a masterpiece...

Dump it out.  Sift through it. Pick a piece from here and there. Push everything aside once creative inspiration hits.

I found myself working big to small, choosing large necklaces, charms and dangles, before realizing that DISASSEMBLING was going to be required first before I could Frankenstein different elements together.  Shortening chains, separating beads and links, oh, it was FUN!  With smaller pieces, more possibilities began to present themselves. 




My goal was to make a single spring necklace for myself. I made thirteen. You could say I found my groove.

I'm keeping two of them- the first, the spring piece that incorporates a fun Easter Bunny charm I made almost a decade ago alongside earthy browns and a little sparkle:



The second features a bluish green stone heart pendant that my grandmother gave me years ago as a Christmas gift.  It hung on a leather strap, and was flanked by two brown beads, which I never liked. Imagine my surprise when I realized that a chain with mini faux pearls could slide right on through the opening!


Remaking jewelry- whoulda thunk it?  Well, obviously LOTS of people, but whoulda thunk I'd find it such a fun thing to do?  I appreciate how these happy surprises happen, and I'm so glad I've been able to give bits of this and that a whole new life.

These necklaces are considered "assemblage" jewelry, because they were made with components not intended to be put together for the original finished piece.  And because I won't be wearing all of these necklaces, I've listed them in my Etsy shop!  


They're keeping my librarian, book lover and educator t-shirts, home decor, and crocheted afghans company, but they are ready to be enjoyed now that spring is just around the corner!  Hippity hop over for a visit by clicking here.


*****

Michaele









Comments

Popular Posts