First Friday in June: What Caught My Eye?

I love First Friday in Kansas City!  On the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday of each month, vendors, artisans, thrifters, and repurposers gather in the West Bottoms Business District of KC.  Full of warehouses with narrow hallways and staircases, multiple floors of furniture, old lighting, odds and ends, antiques and art, and wood slat freight elevators, treasure seekers wander through shop after shop amongst the hustle and bustle of other shoppers.

Some look for that perfect table or breakfront for their dining room.  Others thumb carefully through vintage vinyl.  As I roam, I try to take it all in as home decor inspiration.  I find art that makes me think of projects I'd like to try myself or adapt for my students, and I love to see how wood, wire and other knick knacks are brought back to life by creative folks:


I love humorous typography and fonts, of course:




As well as repurposed style:


(Yes, those are piano keys...)


(Sheet music flower wreath...)


(Gorgeous crown mobiles, full of lace, beads, crystal drops, ribbon and glitter...)

... but little treasures catch my eye as well.  Here's what came home with me this month:


A glittery nesting doll set (s-p-a-r-k-l-e!)...



... and some paper beads (the cute pastry tin stand was a clearance purchase at Nell Hill's a day later):

 

*****

Check back tomorrow to see the red, white, and blue Americana theme that many vendors used for their displays this month!

Comments

Popular Posts