NaBloPoMo July Day 13: Knick Knacks and Kitsch

I've always been a treasure box and knick knack kind of girl.  Figurine and porcelain box collections started by my mother grew as I got older, especially after I fell in love with Russian lacquerware and icons, lidded glass candy dishes, and received fun friendship tokens and mementos from kindred spirits and family.

If you read through my post from yesterday, you saw several of these items, my latest finds from thrifting and antiquing with two of my special friends, Suzanne and Ronie.  Creative souls themselves, it's fun to be on the hunt with them, especially during those times when we're not actually looking for any item in particular.  Isn't that always how you stumble across the best stuff?


Alaska kitsch was ~never~ my style when I was actually LIVING in Alaska.  Plates, pennants, buttons, or salt and pepper shakers were always items bought by tourists.  A decade away from The Last Frontier, and I now find the items charming, especially when I find them collecting dust so far from home.  Being half Inupiaq Eskimo, the "Eskimo Pie" was the perfect purchase for me.  I haven't decided if s/he will remain in my crafty nook on a chair or spend the year in my classroom come August.


I now have two sets of matryoshka dolls that keep me company while I craft.  This second set was a recent purchase, and can you blame me?  Though untraditional, I LOVE the vivid colors and glitter paint (oh yes, GLITTER PAINT!) that were used by the artist: 



See the second set of nesting dolls on top of the wooden tote?  I love their snowy winter scene.


Some treasure hunts end up being jackpot days:


Russian style tole on metal, and then more lacquerware on wood... the small shots went into my china cabinet upstairs, but the trays were hung on the wall in my crafty nook, while the small boxes I'm sure will eventually hold tiny treasures.



What do you collect, and how do you display your treasures?

Comments

Popular Posts